Received from the BEARR Trust.
CHAIR OF TRUSTEES
THE BEARR TRUST
The BEARR Trust is a small London-based NGO. Its mission is to promote
and support cooperation between the third sector in the UK and appropriate
partners in Russia and Eurasia (ie former Soviet Union), especially in
health and social welfare, with a view to strengthening civil society.
The Trust’s priorities, recently reviewed, are to:
• Work with smaller organisations committed to reform in the health and
• Facilitate networking and exchange of information
• Encourage sharing of experience and learning
• Help organisations working in the region to identify potential partners
• Provide seed funding to assist selected organisations to launch or
• Lobby, and seek wider support, for the role of smaller organisations.
The present Chair, Michael McCulloch, intends to stand down during 2007.
The Trust seeks a new Chair of Trustees who will lead it in building up
its networking and facilitating role, and identify and attract new
resources for the Trust.
Role and responsibilities of Chair
• Lead trustees in fulfilling responsibilities in accordance with
requirements of Charity Commission, relevant legislation, and the Trust’s
• Ensure effective and efficient administration of the Trust
• Chair trustees’ meetings (minimum 4 times a year, half day each)
• Chair Trust’s Annual Conference (full day in late November)
• Guide, and as necessary lead or contribute to, trustees’ work programme
• Represent Trust publicly and to donors, partners etc
• Active part in fundraising
Experience and qualities sought
• Experience as trustee and/or chair, or senior executive, of NGO, ideally
with international activities, or comparable board experience elsewhere
plus some of
• Knowledge of/interest in Russia and/or other countries of Eurasia
• Knowledge of/interest in health and social welfare sectors, especially
role of voluntary organisations
• Fundraising experience and/or contacts
• Flexibility to vary personal role from articulating Trust’s mission and
priorities to doing more hands-on administrative tasks
Most trustees, as well as fulfilling their formal governance role, take on
responsibility for a particular aspect of the Trust’s administration or
activity. The role of Chair is likely to appeal to someone who is
similarly inclined, and who can devote one to two days a month flexibly to
developing the trustee body and to building up financial resources.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV, together with a
covering letter, to The Trustees, The BEARR Trust, 2nd Floor River House,
143-145 Farringdon Road, London EC1R 3AB, or by email to [removed]
marked “Chair of Trustees”. Further information about the Trust may be
found on its website www.bearr.org.
Registered Charity No 1011086