SUTTON RUSSIAN CIRCLE
32nd YEAR PROGRAMME 2015 -2016
The Russian Circle’s new season of events commences on FRIDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2015 at The Friends Meeting House, 10 Cedar Road, Sutton, at 6.50 for 7.00 pm. The Meeting House is 5 minutes walk from Sutton Railway Station, with free parking in front and to the right of the building. There is a bus stop nearby. All amenities are on the ground floor. There will be the opportunity to attend twelve meetings (in English) between September 2015 and June 2016 in this, our 32nd season. Thank you on behalf of the Circle to all whose who helped throughout the last year with catering and donations to our book sales and Winter and Summer Parties.
Full programme details are enclosed including:-
· Moscow for all seasons
· My way to Russian Ballet
· Grand Duchess Elizabeth: Queen Victoria’s grand-daughter and a Russian Saint
· Vanished Khans and Empty Steppes
· Classic Soviet Animation
· The English Influence on Landscape Gardening Art in Russia
· Live concert: Russian Poetry and Songs of the Second World War
· Alexander I and the Quakers in St Petersburg
· Live concert: Classical Russian Music
· 24th Candlelight Russian Dinner: Private dinner party with a Russian menu and Russian music at Nightingales Restaurant, Carshalton
· Russian Winter Party and Summer Party
· Short film on Catherine the Great’s Treasures of St Petersburg and the Hermitage
· Short talks/presentations on: Prima Ballerina Natalya Osipova, Our annual holiday in Siberia, Khokhloma – Russia’s golden folk art, The Countries of Central Asia and Fabergé’s magical human figurines.
· Short film on the Empress Elizabeth and the rise of Catherine the Great
· Buterbrodi (sandwiches), cakes and Russian tea each evening.
This year’s subscription for members will remain at £35, which represents excellent value. The guest rates are £8.00 per evening. Please send your £35with the booking form to our Treasurer, Laura Oram, at 3 Darsena House, Christchurch Park, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5TZ,
(( 0208 642 1017, mobile ( 07944 712 780) as soon as possible and preferably before the first meeting. This would be a great help. Please encourage friends, family and colleagues to come along with you to our varied meetings and events.
Do please join us on Friday, 18th September 2015 at 6.50 for 7.00 pm prompt start in the Meeting Room at Friends Meeting House, 10 Cedar Road, Sutton.
Bob Dommett, Chairman